Want to be healthy and fit….Follow these open secret
GUEST COLUMN: Dr. Prabhudev
Bangalore, Jan. 2: Make realistic promises backed by science. Set simple and measurable health goals!
Nothing Magical About December 31. Magic lies in the mind’s capacity to create new narratives for our lives. Intrinsic motivation is driven by an internal reward system.
What is your New Year’s resolution for 2023? Is it to lose weight and attain your best figure? Or is it to take less stress and become a calmer version of yourself? The ideas are endless.
What matters even more than your actions are the consequences of your actions! Covid-19 pandemic has taught us the importance of good immunity, mental health and physical fitness. Wash your Hands and wear your Mask.
• Smile and Smile more often! Be Kind and Be Grateful! Commit To A Gratitude Practice.
• Get an insurance: Everyone needs to take care of their health, and health insurance is one that some people forget to buy. Even if they buy them, they forget is to renew it every year.
• Spend 15 minutes in nature every day- Expose you to sunlight. Sunlight can benefit your health by helping you make Vitamin D. It can also help you sleep better at night.
• Start by being more physically active. Adults should do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity activity. The good news is that small, positive health choices made today right now can have long-lasting effects.
• Manage your stress with a good diet, at least 7 to 8 hours of night sleep, daily exercise and wellness activities, such as yoga and meditation.
• Eat healthy food. No – to processed foods and sugar-sweetened beverages. Eat less red meat. Prefer more plant-based foods. Yes to Apples, berries and cherries- the A, B and C of fruits!
• Hydrate yourself and Drink more water! Drink clean water: men should consume about 15 cups of fluids per day, while women require about 11 cups of fluid per day. Roughly 20 percent of your daily intake will likely come from food—the rest is up to your hydration routine.
• Alcohol only in moderation, with up to one drink per day for women and two for men.
• Quit smoking. Smoking is a slow poison. Smoking is the most preventable cause of premature deaths! 600 ingredients and 7,000 chemicals, – From acetone and tar to nicotine and carbon monoxide. The substances you inhale don’t just affect your lungs. They can affect your entire body- 69 of them are linked to cancer.
• Get your vaccines up to date including Boosters and the flu shot
• Know your numbers – weight and BMI, BP, Sugar, cholesterol, Urea, creatinine
• Practice self-care – give yourself time to rest and do the things you enjoy.
• Women’s gynecological health routine- PAP smears, self-Breast evaluations
• Annual medical check
If you succeed well and good. If you don’t equally well and good! Overall, these are just a few ideas to get you started. The important thing is to choose resolutions that are meaningful to you. Become the person you want to be in 2023. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you a happy, Healthy and a prosperous new year!