Rapid road on pilot basis on Old Madras Road
Bangalore, Nov. 23: Gone are the days when the public had to wait for 35-40 for completion and curing of White Topping roads.
Due to the public outcry, for long duration and delay in completion of White Topping roads stretching to a month, the BBMP has hit upon country’s first of its kind “Rapid” or “Instant” road technology that can be completed in just three to five days and vehicle movement can be allowed immediately.
As an alternative to White Topping road, the BBMP is employing “Precast Post Tensioning Concrete Pavement” technology on pilot basis to complete the quality road in just three to five days. Already, the pilot project has been taken up at ever-busy Old Madras Road.
Inspecting the Rapid Road the BBMP Chief Commissioner Tushar Giri Nath said that the precast technology on the lines of Indira Canteen and Namma Metro is being used. Interlocking precast slabs or panels are used to lay the road. This technology is apt for Bengaluru city as the traffic flow cannot be held up for long duration, he said.
The project taken up on Old Madras road stretching about 500 meters will be completed in the next five days. After laying the quality and tension will be assessed, he said and added that the cost of the Rapid road will be 20 to 25 per cent higher than the White Topping roads.
Before laying, the road will be scraped and brought to the existing road surface. This technology prevents potholes.
- First of its kind technology in the country
- Can be completed in just 3-5 days
- Each slab will have four High Tensile Wires
- For every 45 meters rapid hardening concrete will be laid for bonding
- Each slab measures 5 feet width and 7 feet length
- Each slab will be 7 inch thck
- Cost of Rapid road will be 20 to 25 per cent higher than White Topping roads
- Rs. 7 crore for one kilometer Rapid Road
- Pilot project on Old Madras Road in Indiranagar